World Cup host Qatar is investigating the death of a migrant worker, an official said Thursday, after reports he died at a training base during the ongoing football tournament.
World Cup host Qatar is probing the death of a emigrant worker, an functionary said Thursday, after reports he failed at a training base during the ongoing football event. The death of a Filipino in his 40s was first reported on Wednesday by The Athletic sports website and latterly verified by the Philippines’ Foreign Ministry. The Athletic said the man fell off a ramp while repairing lights at a resort used as a training base by Saudi Arabia’s public football platoon.
The report said he hadn’t been wearing a harness. It didn’t specify the date of the accident. Saudi Arabia’s run at the event ended on November 30 with a loss to Mexico.
“The incident is being delved by the Qatari authorities,” a Qatari government functionary said on condition of obscurity.
Still, the company will be subject to legal action and severe fiscal penalties,” If the disquisition concludes that safety protocols weren’t followed.”
Manila’s Foreign Ministry on Thursday told AFP the man failed” while working at a resort in Mesaieed,” south of Doha.
Nasser Al Khater, principal superintendent of the 2022 World Cup in Doha, verified to Reuters that a worker had failed, but gave no farther details. He offered his condolences to his family and said” death is a natural part of life”.
The Philippines’ foreign ministry verified in a statement that one of its citizens had failed while working at a resort south of the capital Doha. It said its delegacy was” working with legal authorities to ascertain further details of his end”.
Online sports publication The Athletic on Wednesday reported that the man worked for a company contracted to fix lights in a auto demesne at the Sealine Resort, the training point of the Saudi public platoon. It said he failed after he slipped off a ramp while walking alongside a forklift and hit his head on concrete.
Citing multiple unnamed sources, it said the accident passed during the World Cup, but didn’t specify when.
The statement from the Philippines said it would not give farther details out of respect for the man’s family. The resort didn’t respond to a Reuters’ query.
Still, the company will be subject to legal action and severe fiscal penalties,” said a Qatar government functionary,” If the disquisition concludes that safety protocols weren’t followed.
“The rate of work- related accidents has constantly declined in Qatar since strict health and safety norms were introduced and enforcement has been stepped up,” he said.
In response, Qatar said the number of deaths was commensurate to the size of the migratory pool, and included numerous non-manual workers, adding that every life lost was a tragedy. The SC said that three work- related deaths and 37non-work affiliated deaths had passed on World Cup related systems.
Diplomats were” working with legal authorities to ascertain further details”, the ministry said in a statement, adding it would grease” the foremost extradition” of his body.
World football’s governing body FIFA said it was” deeply burdened by this tragedy”.
“As soon as FIFA was made apprehensive of the accident, we communicated the original authorities to request further details,” it said in a statement.
Qatar’s World Cup organisers, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, said the point of the accident wasn’t under its governance.
The man who failed– a contractor– was also” not under the remit” of the commission, it said in a statement.
Migratory workers make up more than2.5 million of Qatar’s2.9 million population and labour conditions have been explosively criticised– particularly in the lead- up to the World Cup.
Last month, Qatari authorities said 414 migratory workers failed in labour accidents in the country between 2014- 2020.
Under pressure from transnational unions, Qatar has accepted labour reforms that have been praised. These include preface of a minimal pay envelope of,000 riyals($ 260), and restriction of hours in which workers can go out in extreme heat.
The World Cup began on November 20 and ends on December 18. Know More News…