The Ecuadoran football federation said Tuesday that defender Byron Castillo had been left out of the nation’s World Cup squad to avoid further “unfair sanctions” in a dispute over the player’s nationality
The Ecuadoran football confederation said Tuesday that protector Byron Castillo had been left out of the nation’s FIFA World Cup team to avoid further” illegal warrants” in a disagreement over the player’s nation. Last week the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that Castillo was eligible to play in Qatar but sanctioned the confederation over the” falsification” of his passport. That cleared the way for the South American nation to take part in the World Cup after Chile and Peru had queried Ecuador’s qualification over the eligibility of Castillo.
The Chilean football confederation( FFCH) said there was substantiation that the player was born in Colombia in 1995 and not in Playas, Ecuador, in 1998.
The FFCH contended” use of a falsified birth instrument, false protestation of age and false nation”.
World governing body FIFA ruled in September that Castillo, who played in eight of Ecuador’s qualifiers, was considered to have” endless Ecuadoran nation”.
The case went to the CAS, which incompletely upheld the prayers by Chile and Peru.
The court said Castillo was eligible to play for Ecuador in the qualifiers” considering that the Ecuadoran authorities conceded Byron Castillo as an Ecuadoran public”.
But it added” While the player’s Ecuadoran passport was indeed authentic, some information handed therein was false.
“In particular, the panel was comfortably satisfied that the player’s date and place of birth were incorrect since the player was actually born in Tumaco, Colombia, on 25 June 1995.”
The football confederation was ordered to pay a forfeiture of,000 Swiss francs($,000), and the men’s platoon will be docked three points in the 2026 World Cup qualifiers.
The FEF described the CAS ruling as” arbitrary” and” without legal base.”
The confederation said in a statement on Tuesday that Castillo would not be travelling to Qatar.
” Faced with the threat of further illegal warrants, the Ecuadoran Football Federation is obliged not to include the player Byron Castillo Segura in the final list presented to FIFA,” it said.
Castillo on Tuesday uploaded a print of the Ecuadoran platoon to his Instagram account, wishing them well and stating” My dream does not end then, I stand establishment.”
Ecuador point in the first match of the World Cup, against host nation Qatar, on Sunday. Read More FIFA News….